Sunday 8 April 2012

Happy Easter!  This morning we got up at 5am to go up to the top of the hill and watch the sunrise - it was pretty special, complete with some chocolate eggs that mum had given to me before I left.

Since I last blogged I have:
- met and held a brand new baby (less than 24hours old but back home) - very cute
- bought some lovely african fabric from the local market
- Have been learning more about 'Africa-time' and how things take longer than expected/ don't happen at all/ happen several days later.  It's frustrating but a good lesson to learn probably.
- Had my birthday - the trip to Kigali didn't exactly go to plan, but the girls went to a lot of effort to make it a nice day and gave me a special breakfast and a cake!
- Church this morning was 4 hourslong, which was erm hard going...
- I've been inspired this week by John Kirkby's book 'Nevertheless' and the story of CAP (Christians Against Poverty).  Despite many challenges and difficult circumstances he has maintained such a huge level of faith throughout.  That's not to say it's been easy, but he's managed to step out and onwards in faith despite the apparent bleakness of situations.  I would like to be more like this.
- I've been missing home comforts like a proper shower, hot water,my bed, being able to understand what people are saying, milk and cereal, sofas etc.  I feel a bit frustrated with myself for this, but I think it's probably fairly normal too.  The people here are so good to us, for example by giving us chips and ketchup (because they're 'western') and treats like samosas.  It is difficult though, as you don't want special treatment - like being taken to the front of a long queue in the bank just because you're white.  On the one hand I want to fit in and don't like being treated like a westerner/ muzungu.  But I also miss the easiness of being at home.

We're in rainyseason at the moment and have heavy downpours every day (although today has been lovely so far) sometimes with lots of thunder and lightening.  The rain is much needed for farmland, but can also be very destructive - altering the landscape and flooding houses (as we saw in Kigali this week).

Not trying to be overly poetic/ cheesy but I feel like I'm going through my own rainy season at the moment.  I found this past week very hard and am facing the same old self-doubts, fears and worries.  I wish I had more confidence and was more easy going.  Why do I find it so difficult to talk to people?  The more I worry and retreat into my own space, the worse it gets - it's a hard cycle to get out of.  I know I need to make more effort, push myself to do things that I find hard and keep focusing on all the positive things that are happening here and now. I would hate to look back on my time here and have regrets.  As much as I want to change, I think I also need to learn how to accept myself too.

Read this verse this morning and felt it was really appropriate for today and for how I've been feeling this week.  Ephesians 2:10  'For we are God's masterpiece.  He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.'  The God who created the masterpieces of sunrises and sunsets, also created me as his masterpiece too.  The slate has been wiped clean through Jesus' death and resurrection.  (Definitely feel this links to Jeremiah 29:11)

As mum mentioned previously, this week is a time or mourning and remembrance for Rwanda.  We're not sure what we'll be doing over the coming week or what to expect from it.  It will be a very difficult time for many.

If you pray, please keep praying for me and the team. It's been so good to read emails, comments and things on facebook when I got the chance.  Love to all. xx

3 comments:

  1. Happy Easter lovely Katie!!

    And yes,this is so true- u are indeed God's masterpiece.

    With lots and lots of love,

    Sian xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dorothy, the mum who isn't Elaine11 April 2012 at 21:49

    Hi Katie, can't begin to tell you how much I look forward to your blogposts, texts and facebook messages. Thank you for them all. I guess it's a challenge coping with limited communication by phone / email / text etc when we take this very much for granted. We shouldn't! Even phoning you using the override is chancy...sometimes it works and others it just doesn't!
    How lovely to hold a newborn baby... practise for your next niece or nephew? Gill has only a few weeks left before her maternity leave begins. Gill and Ishbel Skyped at the weekend. Ishbel was showing us her ark animals, especially the camel who was very happy to demostrates its spitting ability. Lots!!
    Thank you for being honest about the tough times. I can only remind you of how much your time in the DR changed when you decided to appreciate everything and just to go for it. You can do it! You know there are so many people behind you wanting to encourage you. I agree with Sian, you ARE indeed God's masterpiece; am glad you found that verse. Keep remembering it. It might be helpful to keep a daily list of good things and experiences as you come across them. Even the love and kindness of ladies who provide you girlies with chips, ketchup and samosas, how touching. Will you be expecting that when you come home? You do remember that I've never cooked real chops in my life? Someone will need to show me how!
    Much love,
    Mum xxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katie, Margaret McWhinnie here. Just been catching up with your blog after spending some time at Anne's while she was in hospital. She's due to have her gall bladder removed this week, so we're hoping it will all go smoothly. We also spent a few days in Aberdeenshire last week which was nice.
    It's good to hear all your news and very much appreciate your honesty about how you feel. Probably most important is being honest with yourself! The Ephesians verse you mention has long been one of my favourites, especially the translation that uses the word masterpiece. You know how we give a daffodil and a card with a verse on it to all our ladies on Mother's day. Well, that was the verse I felt was right for our ladies this year. So many women forget they are God's masterpiece and so special to God. So hold on to that truth.
    We thought we did well to be at the castle at 7.30am on Easter morning, but you were even earlier. There is something special about gathering with other Christians on Easter morning and worshipping God together, isn't there?
    Hope you all coped with the week of remembrance and mourning and that you were given the sensitivity you needed.
    So, Easter hols over and back to usual routines ie Toddlers this morning, helping at Allan's school on Wednesday mornings and Kilsyth to see Hugh's parents on Fridays. All very mundane compared with all that's going on in your life.
    One last wee thought. The rainy season is necessary for the land! It may feel destructive, but the end result is good. Praying that this will be the case in your life.

    Look forward to hearing the next steps.
    Love, Margaret

    ReplyDelete