Tuesday 1 May 2012

Comfortably uncomfortable


As I think I’ve said before, in theory I love the idea of travelling.  But the reality of power cuts, water cuts, bugs, bites, language barriers, lack of space and freedom does sometimes get to me!  (Although we are taken care of and looked after so well, so don't feel too sorry for me!)  I don’t like feeling uncomfortable and I miss the ease and familiarity of life at home.  But didn’t I come here because I wanted to challenge myself and step out of that comfort zone?  Life at home had become uncomfortably comfortable – it was easy just to float along in life.  Instead, I would like to get to the point where I feel comfortably uncomfortable.  As in actively choosing a lifestyle that doesn’t follow the easy and straightforward path.  Being able to embrace different and difficult situations.  I think there’s a lot more I could be doing to push myself further out of my comfort zones.  Easier said than done!

Someone took me aside the other week and asked me if I was ok, as I was so quiet – was there something wrong?  As kind as it was for them to have noticed me and asked, I did feel a bit upset about it.  I hate being quiet and shy, and don’t like that people often assume something must be wrong.  People are different in the way they show their emotions.  I know it’s another thing I could be working on.  I worry that many of my bad qualities are coming out while here (eg. my lack of tolerance, insecurities, a bit uptight, quick to get frustrated etc).  Where is the balance between changing things about your personality and learning to accept yourself?  I often feel inadequate and still wonder why I’m here in Rwanda and part of this team.

Activities-wise, things have been fairly quiet.  A couple of weeks ago we went to the genocide memorial in Kigali.  I really didn’t know what to expect from it, but it was informative, well laid out, respectful, thought provoking, shocking and deeply upsetting.  I’m glad we visited, but it was also very good when we left – I couldn’t take much more of it.  The next day we went on a trip to Kibuye, by Lake Kivu.  The drive there was incredible – amazing scenery!  We stopped off at an impressive waterfall, but the best bit had to be the first glimpses of Lake Kivu.  The sun was setting, the light was amazing and it was beautiful and exciting to see the water.  We stayed over at a place run by nuns, then on the Saturday took a boat trip out to Napoleon Island, which is home to several thousand fruit bats and a herd of cows (yes really!).  It was good to go out and about, but also nice to come back to Cyakabiri (where we live) – it feels very familiar now.  Next week we will be travelling to Butare, Cyangug & Kigeme for almost 5 weeks.  I’m looking forward to seeing more of Rwanda and learning more about the people.

Last Saturday we took part in ‘Umuganda’, which is where people do community work on the morning of the last Saturday of the month.  We dug holes for and planted passion fruit trees.  I’ve had the fabric I bought made into trousers!  I’ve worn them to church here but I think they might just be pyjamas when I get home – they’re pretty crazy and bright!  The woman who made them works at the ‘Youth At Risk’ project next door to us.  Watching her churn out clothes and make alterations actually made me want to use my sewing machine again – something I haven’t felt like doing for a long time!  Given how I usually feel about being creative, I take this as a good sign!  I also taught the other girls how to make origami birds and did some mending of clothes.  This was perhaps the first time I really felt I was contributing something to the group.  It would be so good if I could go home with a more positive attitude to my creative skills (did I just admit I have creative skills?!).  Yesterday we had 2 amazing treats - homemade pizza (first time I've had cheese since leaving home) and a lesson on how to make samosas (complicated, don't get your hopes up mum!)!

I didn’t get a place on the CAP internship program.  I’m disappointed and don’t have the means to get feedback, so am not sure why.  At the same time, there’s not a lot I can do about looking or applying for something else while here.  I’m pleasantly surprised by the fact that I’m not really stressed and worked up about it.  Obviously the thought of going home with no idea of what the future holds isn’t ideal, but it’s not a disaster.  I’ve been thinking of Proverbs 3: 5-6 ‘Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will direct your paths’.  Hoping my parents aren’t too worried that I will be living with them forever?!

Prayer points would be:
-          That I wouldn’t worry about the future, instead trusting that God has something else in store for me (career advice/ job offers are welcome!)
-          That I would stop getting insect bites.  I’ve had over 50 in the past couple of weeks.  It’s pretty unpleasant waking up at night knowing you’re getting bitten but not knowing what it is, not being able to see them and not knowing how to stop it.  I’m getting better at not scratching but it would be nice if I didn’t get many/any more bites for a while!  Other than that I’m keeping healthy.
-          That I would continue to challenge myself but also give myself a break – it’s unrealistic to expect to change overnight and I could do with learning to accept myself a bit more, warts and all.  Where is that balance?
-          For safety as we travel around Rwanda from 8th May till 8th June.

Thanks again for reading my blog and for those who have left comments.  It means a lot to me!  Sorry I've not been able to regularly update it. Thanks also for the promises of post.  I’ve received 3 cards so far, which is lovely – it’s so special to hear from home.  (Congrats to Lynsey Stewart for being the first, second prize goes to Jennifer Morris)  I’m not sure how much if any internet access I’ll have from next week.  Will try to update the blog, or get mum and dad to do it for me.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Katie.I've so enjoyed reading your blogs. Life sounds like it has ups and downs but on the whole i think it all sounds like a very worthwhile experience involving a lot of soul searching (a family trait I fear!!) You paint a very colourful picture of life out there and its very easy to feel like you know the place because you describe it so well.Hope your next few weeks are interesting, informative and that you feel useful.
    Life continues as usual here. The family are well except little isla is quite poorly at the moment with a virus. I usually look after her on a Wednesday but I'm not sure if Claire will want to leave her. Pete is currently looking into having a new bathroom fitted so I'm helping look at tiles, bathrooms etc-very exciting.
    Its very wet here at the moment but as its usually so dry the rain and sheer quantity of it has been quite exciting! Yes I know if I'm thinking rain is exciting then i need to get out more!!
    We had a couple of days away in the Peak District recently. Great hotel, food , beautiful scenery but it rained a lot and we got very cold.
    Am looking forward to seeing your photos and your jazzy trousers.
    Enjoy the rest of your stay and be sure to realise that you are making a difference to the lives of others.
    Sorry its taken so long for me to get in touch but I wasn't sure how to reply to your blogs--haha had to ask your mum!
    Take care and we all send lots of love and best wishes to you. Lynne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Katie, It's taken me awhile to find your Mum's instructions on how to send a blog, but I've written them down now with old fashioned pen and paper....ready for next time.
    I was pleased to hear the card found you. There is another one on it's way. When our son andfamily lived in Australia I kept a supply of airmail letters to use when email was not available like in the caravan when on holiday....I had a search but there are non left.
    It must be good to see other people sewing. You said at the beginning that you had seen a machine like the one you had. I had never heard of that make. My Elna is quite old but does what I need although it could do with a service.
    You talk about your craft work...I think it's all just super and as aChristian I know I should not be envious of anothers gift but I could easily be envious of you. How would you feel if ajob using craft came up. I'm sorry CAP didn't find you a job....their lose!
    Also sorry about the bites....that's horrid. Why did God make insects that bite? The Scottish midges will seem like nothing when you get home!
    It's quite odd at the moment that England who have got lots of hosepipe bans is now having downpours whilst here we have had 3 beautifully sunny/blue sky days, even warm today.
    Andrew, our son who lives here in Thornhill, and family are in Hamburg at the moment looking for houses and at the international school for the children. They will be moving in July with his job. Next Monday is a holiday here so the grandchildren will be with us so we will hear all their news. We will miss them so much when they move.
    I think you are very brave to be so open on your blog. You obviously think deeplyabout all sorts of things.You speak of accepting yourself warts and all, That is exactly how God accepts us...but he sees us "clothed in Christs righteousness" which is amazing isn't it?
    So glad you are travelling round whilst there...just enjoy.love Jennifer M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katie,
    I'll have another attempt at blogging too, hope I remember instructions! Love your openness and honesty about how you're feeling and an insight into life as you know it in Rwanda. Sorry you were disappointed about the job at Cap but sure you'll be appointed something even more exciting...trusting is the key. It's a bit of a puzzle to me why you doubt your creative skills, as I've heard nothing but good about them. It's ok not to be perfect,tho, you're in good company! Anyone who seems to be, isn't. I like Mary Barclay's way of expressing how to be-(from the Bible,of course)
    Be still and know that I am God
    Be still and know that
    Be still
    Be
    Hope you have great adventures in the next few weeks. Wish I could make the bugs disappear for you but I'll ask someone who can. Your tolerance for little creatures is, I suspect, much greater than mine! Tho' I'd love to see the origami ones! Numbers 6:24
    Linda Mc x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dorothy, the mum who isn't Elaine6 May 2012 at 22:46

    Hi Katie, great to read another blogpost and to chat again (Sun 6th). Like others do, I love your openness. Maybe the written word gives you space to think of what to say and how to say it plus it cuts out annoying interruptions from other people finishing your sentences etc! Remember Maxine saying she couldn't get over how civilised and polite our Sunday lunches were as she was used to competing with equally exrovert sisters...so basically she with loudest voice wins? People have responded so positively to what you've shared...perhaps the next step is to risk doing this face to face? You were the quiet little sister who startled her more talkative older brother by yelling 'Quiet! Me talking!' It worked!

    We've found Butare etc on our map so we know where you and the girls are off to. Another adventure...especially as you don't know what you'll be doing. I do hope you are able to visit the Internet Cafes you've heard about. It sounds like an easier option than sharing a laptop one evening a week. If Butare is a small town with English speaking students, maybe you can set up a market stall offering English conversation alongside the fabric, fruit and battery stalls. I wonder if you'd get takers?

    The view from your bedroom window at home has changed. The Queen Elizabeth Wing of SRI is almost a thing of the past. Only the front wall remains standing and that will be gone soon. It seems like no time since you stood at our bedroom windows watching the tower cranes as the 'new' wing of the hospital was built. I don't know if you can remember that?

    Enough for just now. Take care and remember we love and miss you but are so pleased you're able to follow the dream of going to Rwanda. It didn't happen the first time but it's happening now.

    Love your Mum. ( Someone has to. Old jokes are the best! No?)

    ReplyDelete