Thursday 9 February 2012

4 weeks and trying not to count

In principle, I love the idea of travelling.  There is just so much to explore out there and I like the idea of seeing new places, experiencing different cultures and meeting new people.  In reality I think I'm actually quite a home-bird.  I love living in Scotland, and although I wouldn't exactly say my present circumstances are ideal, I live a comfortable life.  So the thought of giving that up to go off for 4 months seems crazy!  And yet, I'm the one who has decided to do it - no one forced me.  In fact, people have been very encouraging and supportive of my decision to go away.

I'm off to Rwanda at the start of March for 4 months, to teach English, with the charity Tearfund.  I'm going with 4 other lovely girls, so it's not like I'll be on my own.  And yet I'm terrified!  I feel sick thinking about it, and so underprepared. I'm having dreams about forgetting things, being ill while I'm away, not being able to cope, and so on.

Putting my over-active imagination to one side, I really want to keep a record of my experiences, and use this blog to keep in touch with people back home. So please read, comment and keep checking back for (hopefully) regular updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment