Wednesday 6 June 2012

Cooking kitchen in the chicken

Sometimes it's reassuring to know that it's not just me who struggles with languages.  We were recently with a Rwandese friend who was praying and gave thanks for those cooking in the chicken.  Experiencing a different culture can be challenging at times - like being asked if you are a boy or a girl, why you're not married at 27, and curious people touching your arm in the street to see if your skin is real.  We often get followed or surrounded in our van, which can be both funny and intimidating. I now know what animals in the zoo must feel like!

Our time in Kigeme has been pretty mixed.  I've survived 3 mornings of teaching in the local high school and a morning of teaching in a nursery school.  I have a new found respect for all teachers and am even more convinced that I will never be a teacher.  On Saturday we went to 'Super Star' - the Rwandan version of X Factor, minus Simon Cowell.  The music definitely wasn't to my taste, but it was great for people watching and good fun to be out and about.  The 10 acts tour round the country and people vote by text, with the winner announced in August.  We also took part in another umuganda/ community day where we helped to collect and move bricks for building a church.  I only just managed to carry my 4 bricks back up the hill, puffing and wheezing behind a lady carrying 17 bricks... on her head!  Even the small children could carry more than me.  Another humbling experience!  We've also visited a hydroelectricity place (taking the shortcut down a very steep hill to get there - I definitely don't have my dad's genes as my legs were like jelly by the time I got to the bottom), played basketball with some high shool kids (who took it far too seriously!) and have taken Sunday School with about 2 mintues notice.

Yesterday we visited a 68 year old lady who has been helped by RDIS.  She lives with 3 of her 9 children, and 1 grandchild in a small mud and wood built house.  They have almost nothing - a hoe, 1 mattress, a mat for the floor, a bench and a few jerry cans and that's about it.  She doesn't have a kitchen so cooks down in the valley by her old house and then brings the food back up the hill to eat.  She earns a little bit of moeny by digging in the fields for other people, but is unable to send her bright, 3rd youngest child to boarding school for a better education and can't afford health insurance for the 5 of them.  This costs around 3pounds each per year.  She is old and doesn't have good health, with possible high blood pressure/ heart problems.  It's unlikely that she will receive much more help from the church or community as there are so many others in similar or worse situations.  I felt really upset while we were there and after leaving. It's so unfair that we could just get into our van and drive off, leaving this lady stuck there living in poverty.  Where is the fairness in your place of birth having such an impact of your life?  I feel overwhelmed by the need that we saw there and the knowledge that there are so many others like her.  And I'm not sure how to respond.  Ok, there's the instant reaction of feeling sad, upset and angry but where do I go from there?  How do I remember to pray for the people I've met?  How can I practically make a difference - like with the money I fundraised?  What can I do when I get home to continue to support RDIS and Rwanda, and relate to others what I've seen here?  How can I use this expereince to change me attitudes towards life, spending, career choices, priorities etc?  And to change my day to day living?

On a lighter note, we return to Cyakabiri tomorrow and are all looking forward to seeing familiar people and places.  This month of travelling has been a really mixed experience, but it has been great to see more of Rwanda and do different things.  Hard to believe this is our lst month here!

Prayer requests:
- for the lady we met and all those living in similar situations
- thanks for my foot getting better
- that we have a great last month in Rwanda

4 comments:

  1. Thinking of you Katie, and looking forward to seeing you soon. Andy, Gill, Ishbel & large bump

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done you for doing all those things, especially the hard ones! I know I'd never make a teacher either.. How horrible thinking about that lady, knowing it would be so easy for us to pay that health insurance but when it's multiplied over and over-the wealth of the world is just not distributed fairly. Hopefully Tearfund uses the money they are given well. Very glad your foot is better and hope you have a great month!
    My daughter Kyla got her results today and graduates next week-very exciting. Am looking forward to degree show tomorrow. It's pouring rain and windy now-hoping it won't be like this for church anniversary picnic!
    Love Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to read your blog.
    Met up with your Dad & Mum at Andy & Gills today. Good time. Went to a Kite festival at the end of the Wirral. Quite impressive.
    Thinking of you & hope you have a good journey home in just under a month's time.
    Love Peter & Heledd & co.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie,

    I have tried regularly to read your blog ever since you left, checked it out with your Mum and the church office and yet it never worked for me me until TODAY!!!! I AM GOING TO ENJOY NOW SITTING DOWN AND READING YOUR STORY.It sounds amazing Katie and I want to find out about CAP and see what happened there. You will be home before long. I have often thought and prayed for you and will really look forward to hearing firsthand. If you have time in Kigali just before you leave the very exciting arts community is Uburanga Arts Studio 788 605 924 or 788 944 960. Check their website.Bakunzi Jean Bosco is a very lovely guy, he took me painting out to the orphanage where he was brought up.Perfect english so you will get directions from him. MUCH LOVE KATIE. rosas

    ReplyDelete