Thursday 27 September 2012

Nyungwe and Kigeme

Rwanda may be a fairly small country, but journeys can sometimes take a while given the twisty roads and hills.  In our month of travelling we spent quite a lot of time in our minibus with our driver Freddie (how he coped with us 5 girls, I don't know!) and I think the best of these long journeys was going through Nyungwe forest on the way to and from Cyangugu.  It's like another world, with trees as far as you can see, dramatic skylines, the buzz of insects, roadworks, landslides, monkeys...  As I wrote at the time, I spent a lot of the journey through Nyumgwe leaning out of the window taking it all in and listening to some good music on my ipod.
 
Amazing sky

Banana break

Nyungwe forest

Kigeme was our next and final stop in our month of travelling.  I survived more teaching, this time doing lessons on conjunctions in a high school and triangles in a nursery.  We also visited a hospital, a hydroelectricity plant, went to Rwanda's version of X Factor, played basketball, carried bricks and planted potatoes.  The realities of life for many Rwandans hit home when we visited a lady who was really struggling to provide for herself and the 3 children and grandchild who lived with her, and who had next to nothing in her house.  She worked in fields for other people when she could, but had hardly any money and couldn't afford the health insurance for herself or her family.  It was upsetting and felt so unfair that I could just drive away and go back to my cosy, comfortable life.  Where is the justice in your place of birth having such an impact on your life?  As I sit in my nice room, with my laptop and other 'things' around me, I still feel unsure how to respond to this.  The pursuit of justice and challenges faced by those living in poverty can be overwhelming.

I'm still amazed by the beauty of the Rwandan hills - honestly, these photos do not do it justice!
 
Rwanda Superstar!
 
Some local kids enjoying the show (the wee lad on the right has a chicken tucked under his arm!)

Hydroelectricity plant

Who needs health and safety anyway?!!

2 comments:

  1. These are great photos Katie. I so agree but have no answer for your questioning the justice for where we are born. I was just thinking the same yesterday in relation to even being born into the families we have here. There are some children who just don't get the nurturing they need and are sad souls. At least they have homes and welfare unlike Africa. For me at the very least I try and be thankful every day for the amazing family I was born in to and try not to take it for granted. Then try to do my little bit to help one or two families less privileged but it doesn't always feel like enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. More great pics. love the one with the local boys watching the singers...one with his chicken! I often wonder about the fairness of your place of birth impacting your life in such a dramatic manner...for some people life or death. It's hard to see & hard to know what can be done but I like what Barbara says above about being thankful for your circumstances even when things aren't going so well. I think if you live in that way others will see and be challenged. also doing what you can where you can & remembering those you know in prayer. lovely seeing you the other night x

    ReplyDelete