Tuesday 21 October 2014

Near and far

I’ve been in Uganda for a week now, and it still feels quite surreal to be here.  It also feels strangely familiar.  The dusty, bumpy roads.  Crazy traffic.  Wee shops everywhere.  Kids calling ‘Hello muzungu!  How are you muzungu?’ 

However, this time is different.  I’m here on my own rather than with a team – a huge thing for me.  I didn’t think I would do something like this by myself, or that I’d even be able to manage it.  I’ve never travelled this far alone before.  I was worried that people wouldn’t like me.  I’m too quiet and shy.  I’m not brave enough.

And yet, here I am!  I travelled on my own, the world hasn’t ended and people have been very friendly and welcoming to me.  I’m in Uganda for just over 3 weeks, at Dwelling Places, the NGO that Dwelling Places UK (who I work for) partner with.  It’s great to finally meet so many of my colleagues who until now I’ve only communicated with by email and on skype.  It’s good to now have a picture of where everyone works, the different parts of Dwelling Places and how it all works together, and where DP UK fits in.

I’ve been part of review meetings and am working with the team to help improve some of the programmes.  Even as I write that, I can’t quite believe I’m here for work – me?!  I’m more of a background person, let other people take the lead and do the talking.  But I’m sitting in meetings with something to say and people who are listening to my opinions.  That might sound stupid, but it I’m used to people assuming that I have nothing to say.


My hope is that these few weeks will be really beneficial to me, personally and professionally.  And that I’ll give myself the chance to enjoy being back in Africa.  I’d been so focused on coming here to work that I hadn’t thought at all about spare time or the weekends.  But it would be good to see some of Kampala.  Only 4 mosquito bites so far, and no fleas yet…  Phew!

No comments:

Post a Comment