Friday 13 February 2015

Where Trouble Melts Like Lemon Drops

13. Learn to play the ukulele

I would love to have the confidence to post a video or sound clip to accompany this post.  In fact I’ve recorded multiple versions of me singing and playing the ukulele, but I just can’t bring myself to do it.  Ever since I heard my voice on a recording at Primary School and the class laughed at me, I’ve never liked hearing my voice played back to me.  And it’s even worse when I’m singing.  I could just post a clip of me playing the uku and not singing, but that wouldn’t be particularly interesting.  So you’ll have to take my word that I’ve completed this.
 
But I feel I can now say that I can play the ukulele, after buying myself a lovely metallic blue Makala back in November.  My fingers have toughened up and I’ve been practicing a lot, having found a great website which has the chords for numerous songs.   I’ve been using that to learn everything from Coldplay (of course) to Paramore, Adele, David Guetta, Train, Semisonic, Alicia Keys…  The first song that I was able to play was Israel Kamakawiwo’ole’s version of ‘Over the Rainbow/ Wonderful World’.  A lovely wee tune, which makes me wish I was lying on the beach in Hawaii.  So rather than listen to me squawking away, click here and come and join me in the sand.
 
13 down, 17 to go....
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment