Sunday 1 February 2015

Beautiful Attitudes - Part 2 of 3

3. Write 30 good memories/ achievements from my twenties
 
This is part 2 of ‘feeling more positive about my twenties’.  Remember that you can click on the photos to see larger versions of them.
 
11. Becoming an aunty to Ishbel, Eryn and Carys, July 2010, July 2012, November 2013
Anyone who knows me well will know how much I love these girls. I don’t know what it’s like to be a parent or a wife, but if it feels anything like how I feel about my nieces then it must be pretty special. I’m so grateful for the good relationship I have with them, and hope and pray that I can be a positive influence in their lives as they grow up.
 
 
12. Taking part in the college fashion show and having my collection in the Evening Times, June 2008
I can’t quite believe I had the confidence to do this! I remember it being very exciting, and enjoying being able to model something that I had made myself. And I was really pleased to be the only textile student chosen to have my outfits photographed for the Evening Times newspaper (the other 2 collections were from fashion students). It was a great atmosphere getting ready backstage, with hair and make-up, running around between outfit changes and practicing our walks. I had a lot of fun.
 
 
13. Going to Rwanda, March to July 2012
An incredible 4 months in a beautiful country with 4 great girls. I had applied to go on a Tearfund team in 2005 to Rwanda, but failed the health clearance so couldn’t go. I was devastated and thought (like uni) it was another failed dream. I remember standing at the top of Zion hill, just behind where we stayed in Cyakabiri, tears running down my face because I couldn’t quite believe I’d finally made it there. It was worth the wait. When I think back on my time in Rwanda, there are many things that stand out and I still feel the impact of that time on my life today. Having my weaknesses and self-doubts totally exposed (for example, leading a group of teenagers in ‘Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes’ or being asked why I wasn’t married at 26) was very humbling. But I came to a greater level of understanding of who I am and took a step forward in accepting that person. And I made some good friends along the way.
 

14. Dinner with Lynsey, Katie & Kirsty at Lynsey’s flat, August 2014
We spent the evening together eating and looking through old photos of our school days. I haven’t laughed that hard in a long time - my face hurt so much. Looking through the photos reminded me that it doesn’t always need to be big ‘moments’ that are counted as good memories. It can be the small things – the trips to Beanscene, all those games of consequences, hanging out in the park. Sometimes it’s more about the people than the event itself.

15. U2 at Hampden Park, August 2009
We were so close to the front, and I managed to take this photo of Bono. Even if I don’t know all the words, there’s nothing quite like jumping and dancing all over the place to live music, surrounded by hundreds of other people doing the same thing.
 
 
16. Overcoming my fear of public speaking
I still shake like a leaf when I have to speak in front of a group, but I know that I can do it, and finally feel like I have something worthwhile to say. Before and after I went to Rwanda, I spoke in front of my home church (about 200 people). The time I spoke for about 15 minutes in March 2013 probably stands out the most to me, as people were so kind about it afterwards. Much like on my blog, I seem to let my guard down a lot when speaking, and was quite open about my struggles to see any value in myself as a quiet person taking part in short term mission, but how God had been teaching me slowly about the place that quieter people have in life. A lady who I’d never met before, nor have met since, came up to me afterwards and thanked me for what I said – she told me that her daughter would love to volunteer overseas but had felt too shy to do it. But after listening to what I had spoken about, the daughter felt encouraged and inspired to go and do something… Wow!

17. Wigwams with school friends, April 2014
A wee trip with some of my oldest and bestest school friends to a wooden wigwam in Perthshire. This trip was made eventful by almost setting my shoes on fire, being rescued by the disposable BBQs in Kirsty’s car, hysterical laughter, plenty of snoring and arguments over having the window open or not.
 
 

18. Getting merit passes in all 16 units for my HND at college, June 2008
I found college pretty stressful at times, and struggled throughout the 2 year course. But I had fantastic tutors, who couldn’t have been more supportive. I remember sitting crying in front of one of them about boy troubles – I wouldn’t have dreamt of doing that at school or uni! They were reassuring without giving me a false sense of hope. They responded well to hard work and enthusiasm, and were willing to give up their time. I will always be grateful for their kindness and encouragement. I was amazed to receive merit passes for all the units.
 
19. La Crosse Terrace days
This is the flat that I lived in with some of my Uni friends during my 2nd year at Glasgow Uni and 1st year at Cardonald College. Those were some of our best and worst days together. I have so many memories of living there with the girls – the broom trick, pile-ons, taking it in turns to study beside the radiator in order to stay warm but keep our gas bill low, staying up most of the night together to help each other finish off assignments, the time I had to kill Jodi's goldfish, birthdays and parties and Beanscene trips, the ‘bunch of roses left at the door’ incident, sharing clothes, the fire in the basement, the quote wall… I could go on. I’m grateful to still have these friends in my life – they had to put up with a lot living with me!
 
20. Cutting my hair short and dyeing it, August 2010
After a difficult few months, it felt like the change that I needed. It helped me to see myself as ‘me’ again rather than ‘us’. It gave me a bit of confidence to go out and face life again, get a new job and make a fresh start. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment