Sunday 8 March 2015

Book Worm - Part 2

4. Read a new book every month
 
I’ve really enjoyed reading more this past year.  I spend way too much time in front of a computer screen, so it’s been good to go back to paper for a change.  After school and Uni I got out of the habit of reading regularly, and I feel like my mind is slower and more sluggish as a result of not being fuelled in that way.  Hopefully reading more regularly again is a good habit I can keep going with now that I’ve completed this.
 
You can read Part 1 by clicking here, and below is Part 2.
 
October: The Little Coffee Shop of Kabul by Deborah Rodriguez
This novel is centred on a coffee shop in Kabul, Afghanistan.  I like stories where the characters’ paths cross and interact (such as the films ‘Crash’ and ‘Babel’), as they did in this book.  The 5 women involved have very different personalities and backgrounds, yet find common ground in their struggles and successes.  I enjoyed reading something slightly lighter-hearted, and finished this book within the first few days of my time in Uganda.  It does however deal with slavery, rape, suicide bombs and breaking cultural rules, but they handled in such a way as to not overpower and depress the reader.  Well worth a read.
 
November: Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Green
Lent to me by my good friend, Lynsey, whose bookshelves have supplied me with over 15 years of Babysitters Club, Sweet Valley High, Cecelia Ahern and Jodi Picoult.  This is the story of Budo, the imaginary friend of 8 year old Max, and Budo’s mission to rescue Max from danger.  It was written from Budo’s perspective, which was an interesting angle.  Budo has more knowledge than Max about life, but Budo’s descriptions allow the reader a greater insight into the situation.  For example, from Budo’s descriptions of Max’s behaviour you can tell that he is on the autistic spectrum.  This book was better than I expected – both heart-warming and sad.  Budo’s love for and loyalty to Max eventually costs him the highest price.
 
December: The Other Hand by Chris Cleave
A hard hitting account of Nigerian-refugee Little Bee and her encounter with Sarah O’Rourke, initially in Nigeria and then 2 years later in England.  This book was gripping, and very well written, but a tough read and perhaps not the most uplifting thing to be reading when you’re struggling with life.  Although fictional, it certainly doesn’t give a good impression of British Immigration Detention Centres, and the systems that are in place to deal with and support refugees.  Suicide, depression, corruption, and rape are combined with the search for freedom and answers.
 
January: The Fault In Our Stars by John Green
I’ve always been unsure whether it’s better to read the book or watch the film first, or if it actually matters.  Having seen the film adaptation last year, I thought I would check out the book to compare the hype.  Hazel (with terminal cancer) and Augustus (a cancer survivor) meet at a cancer support group and, of course, fall in love.  Yes, there are predictable elements within this book and something about the characters that doesn’t quite resonate with real life.  But there’s another side that does.  It’s insightful and irreverent, funny and poignant, and surprisingly better than the teen-fiction that I was expecting.  There are events or experiences (such as illness) that impact us and those in our lives, changing our perspective as well as changing how others perceive and behave around us.  I liked that this book dealt with that head on.  But the running theme that smacked me in the face was that of Gus’s battle with the (in)significance of his life.  I want to leave a mark. … We are like a bunch of dogs squirting on fire hydrants..., marking everything MINE in a ridiculous attempt to survive our deaths. …I know it’s silly and useless – epically useless in my current state – but I am an animal like any other. (p311)  This struck a chord for me.
 
February: The Real Deal by Rod Williams
An autobiography of Williams’ struggle with a drug and gambling addiction, and how his life changed over time once he became a Christian.  In many ways this was very easy to read, and I finished it within a few days.  But it was also hard to see how quickly life can spiral out of control as a result of addictions, and how destructive it can be, both for the addict and those around them.  I’ve never struggled with an addiction, but I can relate to the inner need to find purpose or satisfaction, or to try and fill a gap in life.  I’m sure most people do this, to a greater or lesser extent, whether it’s with food, drink, relationships, possessions, status, money or fitness.  But for some, it’s a compulsive behaviour.  Williams found his freedom through his faith in God, helped by the support of family and friends.  Even as a Christian myself, I struggle to live out my life with the freedom that I know I should have.  Why is there such a difference between head-knowledge and heart-knowledge?
 
March: Chinese Cinderella by Adeline Yen Mah
This book was very easy to read – I finished it in under 24 hours – but also very difficult.  Adeline’s mother died giving birth to her, and from then on the majority of her family considered her to be bad luck.  She was ostracised and made to feel unwanted, with blatant favouritism given to her other brothers and sisters, especially the offspring of her stepmother.  I grew up with 2 loving parents in a relatively stable home, and yet still have enough childhood issues that I’m working through.  How can a child possibly learn to deal with those feelings of being unwanted, unaccepted and never being good enough?  Adeline talks of living in fear, trying to hide her home situation from her school friends, the crushing weight of depression and her need to try and please her family.  This book focuses on Adeline’s story up to the age of 14, and I hope she found her peace and happiness after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment