Sunday 1 March 2015

Beautiful Attitudes - Part 3 of 3

3. Write 30 good memories/ achievements from my twenties
 
The third and final instalment of my list of memories/ achievements from the past decade. I’ve enjoyed looking back over photos and thinking about good times. Because despite what my brain might tell me, there have been plenty of them. I need to retrain my way of thinking into remembering the positives more, instead of focusing on the regrets, hurts and disappointments. I’ve been through some really difficult situations in my twenties, but I think the point is that I’ve come out the other side. I’m still here, and I’ve learnt a lot from those difficult times. Who knows what the next decade will bring?!
 
(Remember that you can click on the photos to see larger versions of them)
 
21. Dinner with Lynsey, Kirsty and Katie, February 2013
The 4 of us had decided to go for dinner, and ended up in Arta in Glasgow, I think because we found a deal. We were then asked by a member of staff if someone could come and take photos of us eating our meal, and in return we would get money off our food and free sangria. Of course we said yes, although I’ve yet to see our photos appear on any of their promotional materials… funny that! Good food, great company and a lot of laughter.
 
 
22. Getting my degree, July 2010
When I dropped out of Glasgow Uni in 2005, I wondered if I would ever get a degree. Even if it was the right thing to do, I still sometimes felt like a failure. I was so delighted to graduate from Manchester Art School 5 years later. My Graduation day itself was quite stressful and I have an extremely useless obscure degree (BA Hons Embroidery), but it felt like such an achievement to walk over that stage and collect my bit of paper. Thinking back on it, I’m not quite sure how I survived my final year – the level of support I received from my tutors was minimal, and I didn’t have many friends in Manchester. So that bit of paper represents much more than an academic achievement to me. It proves that despite the difficulties I faced, I was able to see it through to the end.
 
23. Rwanda friends reunions, Oct 12, Jan 13, Nov 13 and Dec 14
I was very nervous about going to Rwanda with 4 girls I hardly knew. Fortunately we all became good friends. Since our Rwandan adventure, we’ve met up a few times – camping at Momentum (a Christian event near Bath), driving round the sights of Stirling, touring Northern Ireland and seeing in the New Year in snowy Sheffield. Always plenty of banter and reminiscing to be had.
 
 
24. Celebrating 30th birthdays, July 2014 – January 2015
The daunting prospect of turning 30 has been lessened by seeing other friends go through it and survive. It’s also a good excuse to meet up more often and celebrate together. So far there’s been a surprise party complete with bouncy castle, ice cream in Largs and a box of chocolates birthday cake, hot chocolate and cake in Luss, with a surprise Skype call from New Zealand, and afternoon tea.
 
 
25. Grouse drawing from final year at Art School, November 2009
For me, drawing is probably like childbirth – an extremely painful process, but with a (usually) good outcome! This drawing is the one I am most proud of, although it is also unfortunately the only piece of work I sold at my degree show. I’m gutted that I don’t have the original, but do still have a photo of it. I love the level of detail in it.
 
26. Piccadilly Fountains, June 2010
I didn’t particularly enjoy the couple of years I lived in Manchester.  Having said that, I did find moments or places to enjoy. The massive Paperchase store near the Arndale Shopping Centre. The corners in Manchester Museum on Oxford Road where I could sit and draw for hours without being disturbed. The squirrels in Whitworth Park, who liked to snack on milky way bars. I also loved sitting in Piccadilly Gardens in the summer – not so much gardens, but patches of grass and concrete. But they did have these amazing fountains in the middle, which were programmed on a cycle. If you sat for long enough you could work out what would happen next, but it was fun to watch adults and kids get caught out. Or people running, jumping, splashing. It’s soothing sitting beside water watching people have fun. And very photographic.
 
27. Buying my first car, June 2013
It felt so grown up and independent to have my very own car! And it was a huge achievement for me given how terrified I used to feel about driving. Although I passed my test when I was 17, I never practiced enough and lost my confidence very quickly. After my dad’s climbing accident in 2010 and with a lot of negotiating, we bought a wee Fiesta which was a more manageable size for me to drive. I wouldn’t wish those circumstances on anyone, but I’m so grateful that it forced me to confront a fear and overcome it. I was able to buy the car from my dad and although I’m struggling to afford it right now, I love the freedom that it gives me.
 
28. Seeing Coldplay, December 2011
Coldplay have been my favourite band for a long time, so being able to see them live was a dream come true. I queued up early and managed to get a spot right down at the front of the SECC in Glasgow. They were AMAZING! I sang and jumped along to every song, and still have some of the confetti that was dropped out over the crowd during one of the songs. Wrist bands were handed out as we went in and these lit up during the evening – I remember looking behind me and just seeing flashing lights everywhere. Beautiful.
 
 
29. Uganda, October – November 2014
I loved my three weeks in Uganda, working with Dwelling Places in Kampala. The people I met were so friendly and it meant so much to me to be part of a bigger team. Although this was a work trip, I think the personal gains from my time away were just as valuable. I felt accepted, that I had something to offer, and was reminded why I do this job. I would quite happily have stayed there for longer.
 
30. Living in Glasgow
I’ve lived in Glasgow for about 6 years in total now. I will openly admit that Edinburgh is a more ‘obviously’ beautiful city, but there’s something about this city and the people that make it special. I grew up in Stirling, and it will always be my ‘home’ in a sense, but I love that feeling of having lived somewhere else long enough that it becomes your other home. Knowing the best places or shops to go to, having your favourite café and recognising the staff because you’re there most weeks… I think it’s made a difference coming back here for work. I feel more settled rather than the feeling of potentially just ‘passing through’ that comes with university or college. Glasgow is also an incredibly friendly city, with banter and heart in equal measures. 
 
This photo was taken looking down Buchanan Street.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment