Monday 30 March 2015

Mandazi

6. Learn how to cook something new
 
(This replaces the original 'go on a road trip around Scotland', which I will hopefully do at some point in the future.)

I'd like to think I'm a reasonably good cook.  Sure, it's a bit monotonous, but it's hard to feel motivated to make exciting new things every day when you're cooking for one.  I find baking therapeutic (most of the time), but it's not good for my waistline.
 
So the perfect excuse to try making something new is when doing it for other people.  My mum has a rule that you shouldn't try a recipe for the first time when guest are coming round.  But we all know I live life on the edge...

I was helping at a 'Thank You' event over the weekend for some of the people who support the work of Dwelling Places UK.  We wanted to give people a taste of Uganda, so brought along plantain chips, chai tea, chapattis and mango juice.  We also decided to make mandazi - a doughnut flavoured with coconut, cinnamon and cardamom.  I did a trial run earlier in the week (it's always good to do a taste test) and then went for round two on Friday night.

Unfortunately I managed to cremate quite a few of them (I blame using an electric cooker instead of gas), but I had a bit of help and the rest were salvaged.  Nothing like a bit of icing sugar to cover up the burnt bits.  But it's all good learning experience and it was fun to try something new.  These taste really good actually - the spices and coconut give a lovely flavour.

Find the recipe here:  http://africanbites.com/?p=7485
 
Here goes...

Extremely sticky dough - I think I should have used more flour!

Nobody likes a gloater, but I have to admit that his were better than mine
 


No comments:

Post a Comment