Monday 30 March 2015

Here's Lookin' At You Kid

12. Watch 6 classic films that I've never seen before
 
I like to think of myself as having good knowledge of films, with a decent collection of DVDs.  But I have to admit that there are a lot of classic films which I haven't seen.  I'm not just talking about old black and white movies.  It's the ones that are famous for their quotes, the ones that were major hits at the box office, or the ones that you watch as a child around Christmas time.  So I decided it was about time I saw what all the fuss was about by watching 6 'classics' that I hadn't seen before.
 
Bambi
Yes, that's right, I've never seen Bambi.  Shocking, I know.  I was aware that his mother died (sorry if that was a major spoiler for anyone out there), but I hadn't realised how early on that happened in the film and that there was more of a storyline to it.  As much as I love the Disney-Pixar movies of current day, there's nothing quite like a bit of old-school pencil and paper to get the job done, and I loved the illustrative quality of the animation and soft colours in Bambi.  It almost feels quite comforting.  Can you believe this was first released in 1942 (and re-released another 6 times)?  This film definitely has the charm factor, and I could see why it appeals so much to people.
 
Jerry Maguire
Wow, Tom Cruise looks young in this film.  Short as ever, but what a baby face!  Ok, so I can now put the whole 'Show me the money' and 'You had me at hello' quotes in context, but I really didn't get what all the fuss was about the movie.  Five Oscar nominations... really?!  I mean, I was happy enough to watch it, but I'm not going to be rushing back any time soon.  I can see why Renee Zellweger's character, Dorothy, fell for Jerry in the first place.  But the relationship just felt a bit false and lacking in depth.  For me, it didn't feel all that genuine when he went crawling back, begging for forgiveness.  I would have sent him packing... maybe.
 
Les Miserables
I'm not a fan of musicals.  At all.  But this film...  I'm not saying I've been converted, but when you do a film on this scale, with that level of epic-ness, and with a performance like that from Anne Hathaway (so deserving of her Oscar for the role of Fantine) - how can you not sit in awe.  And of course the running themes of redemption and mercy.  Yes, there was the dodgy performance from Russell Crowe, and I did get a bit bored (come on - it's 158 minutes long!).  But I get why people love it so much.
 
Cool Runnings
Light-hearted, embracing the Jamaican stereotypes, and the 'feel-good striving to succeed against the odds' which makes you want to punch your fist in the air.  What's not to like?  Perhaps when it first came out it felt current, but it's got a major early 90's cheese feel to it.  Which is no bad thing.  Feel the rhythm!
 
The Sound of Music
I know, how can I have reached almost 30 years of age and not seen The Sound of Music before now?  What can I say, I didn't watch a lot of TV when I was younger and was never usually in charge of the remote.  The whole singing thing was a wee bit off putting (I refrained from watching the sing-along version), but the appeal and charm of this film is obvious.  Who can't help but fall for Julie Andrew's Maria, with her enthusiasm, clumsiness, gentle nature and innocence.  I think if I had watched this as a child, I would have loved it.

Casablanca
Oh yes, there had to be a black and white film in there.  And why not go all out with a Humphrey Bogart classic.  I have to admit, I was expecting him to be better looking - wasn't he the Brad Pitt of his day?  I think the best word to describe this film is melodramatic.  But I mean that in a positive way - it feels well balanced, with serious notes of escaping from occupied Europe, the romance of a reawakened heartbreak, and just enough slapstick humour without being over the top.  I was surprised that it was only 102 minutes long, but this also felt like a good balance - the script was tight, not overdrawn but not rushed either.

Other films that I feel I ought to see are: Mary Poppins, The King and I, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Gone With The Wind and The Wizard of Oz.

(This replaced 'take up piano again and learn to play 6 new songs' - seems I haven't got any better at practicing and perseverance.)

No comments:

Post a Comment