Sunday 22 March 2015

It's A Zoo Out There!

29. Try an unusual type of food
 
My normal diet can be a wee bit monotonous - a lot of pasta, rice, veg and bacon/ chicken - so I'm quite up for trying now food and different flavours.  My friend Lynsey and I went to Khublai Khans, a Mongolian restaurant in Edinburgh last night.  The set up is quite simple - fill a bowl with your choice of rice/ noodles/ beansprouts/ vegetables, then add spices, herbs, sauces and oils, and finally top it off with your choice of meat/ fish.  Take it over to the counter and it gets cooked up on a big hot plate. then brought over to you table.  And even better, if you go for the buffet option you can go back as many times as you have space for!
 
The restaurant usefully has suggestions for sauce combinations, such as Khublai's Kracker, Sweet & Sour, Massive Mongolian Munch etc, and the quantities needed to make it from the little pots of flavours in front of you.  And then there's the meat...  I think there was about 12 different choices altogether, but I tried llama, wild boar, horse, buffalo and rabbit.  And we had kangaroo haggis and zebra stroganoff as our starters.  My favourite was probably the wild boar, which I had with a sweet and sour sauce, rice, carrots and ginger.  It was like a cross between beef and pork - flavoursome but not too chewy.  I definitely felt a bit guilty about eating horse meat (although had to laugh at the sign underneath it which said 'the real thing').
 
 
 
I also now have two vouchers for 20% off at Khublai Khans, to be used before the end of April, should anyone else wish to try it!  There's the restaurant in Edinburgh and also one in Glasgow.  My top tips are to go for small bowls and not to add too much meat, otherwise you'll be too full to try everything you want.  It definitely felt like flavour overload by the end, but it was worth it.


1 comment:

  1. Wow! Imagine trying all these different meats. There goes your adventurous side again! Are you the daughter who, once upon a time, begged her mum to allow you to be a vegetarian. The one who stopped speaking to her mum for refusing? Thought not.
    I couldn't bring myself to try any of these 'new' meats. Actually I'm the one heading towards being a veggie!
    Love
    Pass the Lettuce Leaf Mum x

    ReplyDelete