Sunday 8 March 2015

Sewing Projects - Part 2

19. Make something new on my sewing machine every month
 
Read Part 1 by clicking here.
 
 
After seeing a photo of myself in this dress last summer, I decided that it needed a strap to break up the expanse that is my right arm and shoulder.  I love this dress, and although it was quite expensive, it’s already met my sewing machine a few times for alterations and being taken in/ let out.  I added the strap in October, in time for a friend’s wedding (although don't seem to have a photo of me wearing it).  In November I made a scarf, which I’ve also claimed for number 17 on my list (make an item of clothing for myself), and December was a last minute panic make to tie round a present for a friend.  I made a bit more of an effort in January and created a jewellery travel roll.  I’d looked at lots of pictures on Pinterest and picked out the bits I liked best, and made my own pattern up.  It’s not as neatly finished off as I would like, but it’s pretty and practical – always a good combination in my book.
 
 
I managed to get in quite early with February’s item and made some bunting for my youngest niece, Carys, as both her older sisters already have some.  I used scrap fabric from some bedding that I had altered for them, and was pleased with how it turned out.  I was also surprised that it was quite straight forward to do, although relatively time consuming as I was drawing out the letters by hand rather than tracing it from a script.  And in March, I whipped up a wee case for my phone and a couple of shopper style bags.  My iron decided to stop working during the bag making process, so thankfully my hair straighteners came to the rescue.
 
I have to admit, that I’m relieved to be finished this item on my 30:30 list.  Unlike my monthly book reading project, this got harder as time went on.  I know I have the practical ability to make things on my sewing machine, but I totally lack the necessary creative skills to come up with ideas.  The more I try to feel motivated and inspired, the more frustrated and upset I become.
 
I wrote this in my diary last May and it pretty much sums up how I’ve felt this weekend while working on my sewing projects:
 
Why does my creative side come at such a cost?  It’s so painful at times to try and make things.  I’m not talking about ‘crochet claw’ or ‘embroidery eyes’.  I mean the gut wrenching ‘I can’t do this’, ‘nothing I make is any good’, ‘I should just give all this stuff away and give up’.  All I wanted to do was make a few cards and now I’m fighting to hold back the tears and feeling overwhelmed by all my insecurities related to being arty.  At high school I decided not to go to art school because I didn’t think I was good enough, so stopped at Higher Art.  After dropping out of uni and having a year out at home, I returned to Glasgow to do textiles and fashion design at college.  Then came two difficult years at Art School and somehow I came out the other side.  People tell me the things I make are lovely.  Or ask if I still do my arty stuff.  I try to brush it off and say it’s a hobby, I don’t want to make a career out of it, I make bits and pieces etc.  But I feel embarrassed that all I seem to make are a few cards, the odd bag or something for my nieces.  Shouldn’t I be doing something more worthwhile?  More Art School worthy?  I want to enjoy it, I really do.  And there are times when I do get some satisfaction from being creative.  But the majority of the time it’s such a struggle for me.  And then at the worst times, like this evening, it’s a traumatic experience that leaves me feeling defeated, frustrated and really upset.
 
All I see when I look in my boxes of fabric is the amount of money that I’ve wasted and the lack of ideas in my head.  I can’t seem to overcome the soul destroying impact that my time at Manchester Art School had on me.  Life feels hard enough at the moment, so I think I’m going to pack my sewing machine away for a while and take a break.  Sewing is a useful skill to have, but right now I just can’t face using it.

1 comment:

  1. Have to say that studying English literature had the same effect on me. When the booklist wasn't handed out until the beginning of the academic year (so no chance to get ahead during the summer) it wasn't possible to read a hefty going novel every week as well as working on other subjects. Answering essay questions on novels you hadn't completed became a way of life. Got through it but couldn't face reading at all for several years after graduating. It's such a pity when studying has the closing door effect rather than opening new horizons. Something wrong there.
    Your Mum who loves her Kindle

    ReplyDelete